The Universe, 3028

MRB Data Feed

Ceres Metal Industries
Lorenzopolis, Triasha - Kimball II

Kimball System, Lyran Commonwealth
November 11, 3028

Mara Walsh's ON1-K Orion and the DRG-2Y Dragon traded savage blows as I approached; the Orion aggressively kicking and punching the Dragon as the bulky Kuritan BattleMech fired its laser suites into its assailant at point-blank range. My targeting reticule flickered repeatedly from red to blue as the combatants circled each other, creating brief intervals where I couldn't get a clear shot at the hostile.

Alexander Blackwood's Catapult once again stomped to a halt alongside my King Crab, and I toggled open a channel to the Lieutenant. 

"Traveler, we're going to have to divide and conquer on this one," I advised. "See if you can get a clear shot on the Dragon's left flank. I'll try to head him off from the right."

"You got it, Cap," Blackwood acknowledged, pushing his BattleMech into a long, loping run which traced a wide arc around the Dragon. Meanwhile, I moved my King Crab a short distance to the east in an attempt to get a clearer line-of-sight on the target. As the Dragon entered my scopes, I quickly snapped off two AC/20 rounds; however, as I did so, the Dragon made a sudden and unexpected turn, causing both shots to fly wide. The maneuver also, by lucky chance for the Kuritan pilot, threw the thirty LRM-15 missiles off course that Alexander had evidently launched at the same time; the ground directly alongside the Dragon was abruptly engulfed in a hellfire of simultaneous explosions as the warheads missed their marks. However, both our attacks provided enough of a distraction that, as the Dragon's pilot turned to ascertain their origins, Walsh was able to land several close-range AC/10 and SRM hits on the Dragon's left and right torso components, causing a critical level of damage and blowing apart multiple key systems. 

An abrupt and significant detonation in the near distance momentarily drew my attention away from the fight as I bore witness to Dutch's Awesome wordlessly putting an end to the DVS-1D Devastator. As the 'Mech crashed to the ground, I watched with admiration as the Awesome's pilot immediately drew a bead on the next Kuritan within range and immediately opened fire.

That guy is nothing but business, I mused to myself. I've got to make it a point to meet him when this is all over.

I turned back toward the combat to see, unexpectedly, Walsh's Orion being carved apart by the Dragon's large laser, the Kuritan inflicting significant attrition on the BattleMech's right arm. I drove toward the Dragon, letting fly with both autocannons, the shots landing true and blowing apart the Dragon's left torso. Simultaneously, Blackwood's Catapult scored a critical pulse laser hit on the Dragon's right arm, knocking it out of commission and opening a window of opportunity for Walsh to blast the limb entirely from the 'Mech's body. In a follow-up assault, a blistering alpha strike spat forth from the Orion, wreaking havoc across the Dragon's entire chassis, and sending it crashing into the ground as multiple systems were destroyed in an instant. 

As I trained my sights on the downed hostile to deliver a kill shot, I suddenly felt the ground giving way beneath my King Crab. I realized, with horror, that the causeway my BattleMech was standing on had buckled under the weight of the war machine, and was now in the process of collapsing. Quickly, I shoved the 100-ton machine into a hard reverse, but it was too late. I was in free fall!

MEANWHILE........ 

The guard led me down a huge hallway that was completely dark except for torches burning on each of the walls. Other than that it looked like a normal jail, except while we marched toward the grand inquisitor's office, I heard the sounds of people being tortured. The noises got louder and louder as we went further down the hall. We passed a room that said DENTIST, another that said DINING ROOM, and another that said DUNGEON. Eventually we went by a little office that said TORTURE, that was where the screams were the loudest. Then, we went around a corner, and there was another office, with big torches burning brightly outside the door and two skeletons shackled on the walls. A huge sign said GRAND INQUISITOR in a strange language that I couldn't read. How I knew what it said I did not know.

The guard pushed a doorbell button next to the giant doorway, and a doorbell song that sounded like a war March started playing for the next 5 minutes. After it was over, a deep voice from inside intoned "ENTER." Then, the door swung open all by itself, and a huge amount of smoke came out. I started sobbing and gagging in fear. The guard pushed me In and slammed the door behind us.

"I have brought the accused!" The guard intoned.

"WHAT ARE THE CHARGES??" Said a huge voice that sounded like it came from all around us. The room was completely dark other than the sound of the voice,I couldn't see anything.

"Underage drinking and vandalizing State Property!" The guard shouted. "That's not true and you know it!" I retaliated, "The drawing was there underneath all of that poop, how could I have drew it?" Suddenly the guard tasered me in the side of my head and the whole room went blurry for a second, a giant spot light turned on over head and Shined down on me in a blinding way. 

"SILENCE!!!" The guard yelled as smoke came from my hair. The guard tased me again and I screamed in pain and watched as I could see my skeleton for a second. "HOW DO YOU PLEAD!" he demanded. 

"Not guilty of the graffiti!!" I Shouted. Suddenly, a big booming laugh started. It got louder, and louder, and louder, and I realized it was the Grand Inquisitor laughing. "What is it? What's so funny?" I demanded. All of a sudden, the grand Inquisitor swung down from the ceiling, coming at me looking like a skeleton on fire laughing insanely. His eye sockets were literally on fire while he flew straight at me, still laughing. I screamed and tried to cover my face with my hands, but it was too late! The grand Inquisitor passed right through me and I spun around about five times and then fell down onto the ground, because I couldn't stand. "STEVE JENKINS SON OF ZHUIHUI, YOU HAVE BEEN JUDGED. RECEIVE YOUR PUNISHMENT," the voice of the Inquisitor boomed, and a lightning bolt flew at me! I screamed again, the room drained away from around me, and I suddenly found myself flipping through a wormhole in space, with all of the universe blowing past me at unbelievable speed. I felt gravity clawing at my brain, all of the blood rushing to my orifices, and then I blacked out as I spiraled into hell itself!!

Edited by Steve Jenkins
  • Haha 1

Ceres Metal Industries
November 11, 3028

As the bone-jarring impact subsided, and I took stock of my surroundings, it became apparent that I'd fallen through the surface of a roadway that was supported, underneath, by a row of office buildings - into one of which my King Crab was now solidly-embedded. A glance at the BattleMech's status indicators revealed that its left AC/20 had been destroyed by the fall, and a fair amount of armor had been shorn off of the machine's torso by building rubble during the fall.

Through the King Crab's expansive windshield, I could see the remains of the offices that surrounded me. Strewn among a sea of shattered window glass and fallen plaster, overturned desks, chairs askew, and smashed computers littered the floors, their presence testament to the once-occupied status of the factory. Rays of afternoon sun filtered through clouds of dust and smoke cast into the air by the building's destruction. Beyond the ruin, I heard the thunderous clap of an explosion; simultaneously, Hassan reported that his Warhammer had just sustained a critical hit from a Kuritan Victor.

"You okay in there, Captain?" the voice of Marius Lennox crackled in my headset.

"I'm fine, just a little banged up," I reported. "Hammer Lance - advise hardware status and current targets," I continued, putting out an all-call to the entire unit.

"This is Hammer-2; Orion is functional and engaged with Kuritan Dragon," Mara Walsh replied.

"Hammer-3 here; Catapult is looking green; engaging Kuritan Longbow," Alexander Blackwood advised.

"Hammer-4; my Warhammer is coming apart around me. This Victor is giving me hell," Hassan Ali Khaled reported.

"Copy that; and what about Dutch?" I answered.

"Hammer-1, this is Control; looks like Dutch is headed in to assist Hassan with the Victor; his Awesome is laying down some pretty serious pain on the guy even at range."

"Roger, Control - Hammer-4, were you direct on that traffic?"

"Confirmed, Captain - I see the cavalry inbound now. We'll finish off this Victor together."

"Acknowledged," I replied. "I'm going to get myself out of these buildings and see if I can help Mara finish off the Dragon as it's my closest target. Team, keep me advised of your status."

With that, I closed the channel, and drove my King Crab's still-functional right arm in a sweeping motion, smashing through the wall directly in front of me and triggering an avalanche of plaster, brick, and steel. The ravaged remains of the office structure rained down around me, sending loud crashes echoing through my BattleMech's cockpit. As the building fell away, I pushed the machine forward slowly, stepping carefully over the ruins and out into the daylight of the battlefield. I was greeted by the smoking wreckage of multiple Kuritan BattleMechs; nearby, a small-scale forest fire burned vigorously. From my vantage point, I could see, off in the distance, Dutch and Hassan trading blows with a Victor that was looking worse-for-the-wear. Closer in, Alexander was delivering a debilitating amount of missile fire directly into the center torso of an oncoming Longbow, and a short distance away, Mara was grappling with what was left of the Dragon. An incredibly beefy BattleMech for its weight class, I knew that it could potentially hang in a fight longer than the Orion's ammunition could last. It was my intention that such a scenario wouldn't happen.

"Hammer-2, I've got eyes on you. Sending some lead downrange toward your bogey now," I announced, drawing a target on the Dragon and opening fire. The autocannon round flew wide, but multiple pulse laser rounds landed true, scoring savage hits across the Dragon's left arm and across its torso. To my right, in the periphery of my vision, I saw a brilliant flash as the Victor exploded simultaneously. Over the radio, I heard Hassan let out a victory cheer.

We were winning this one - it was time to bring it home.

"Alright, Foxglove. Let's finish this guy."

MEANWHILE........

I Suddenly was waking up on the floor of a Windowless Church with only one Room, the lights were flickering and super white, lighting up the grey walls and making shadows go at all kinds of crazy Angles. The building was at an Angle too which made it really confusing, I sat up and saw that all the church Benches were empty and I was the only person there,

"HELLO???" I Screamed. "IS ANYBODY HERE???" But Silence was dominating, there was no words in reply. There were weird creaking noises and what sounded like wind and breaking glass over and over outside. I thought I heard a goat, maybe a cow moo or something, but I could not KNow. I sat with my face in my hands for 5 minutes tring to decide what to do or where I was, when all of the sudden I heard a Voice from behind my head,

"I sense a SPIRIT IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS," it boomed sounding like a little old lady, I turned around really fast and saw a very old Preist standing at the podium looking at me, "Yes, I am searching for answers." I said, "I want to know where I am!!"

"ZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL" the Priest said and then disintegrated into a pile of Ash and rubble. "NO, WAIT, COME BACK!" I Yelled, running up to the podium and picking up one of the Priest's skeletonized fingers and yelling at it and shaking it. But the preist did not return. I sobbed at the finger and then put it back on the ground as I mourned the minister's passing, he or she still had so much left to give witht heir life....

Since there were no answers in the church, I Knew I had to leave this place and search beyond it, I went to the doors at the end of the chapel and grabbed the doorknobs. I heard a sizzling kind of like the grill at McDonalds, then I realized that it was my hands burning!! I let out an an animal yell and grabbed my hands back from the door, they were actually on fire because the door knobs were so hot! I ran around the church banging my hands on the walls and the benches but all it did was light more things on fire, I grabbed my head with stress trying to figure out what to do, but then my hair lit on fire too! I ran screaming at the doors and smashed them open with my head, as the flung open I looked in every direction for water, but instead, all I saw was lava everywhere, skeletons flying everywhere, and the booming intoned laughs of demons came from all angles. I opened my mouth and a shrieking gagging sob came out, I had actually been cast into Hell for my Transgressions, and now I did not know how to escape!! What would I do???

• Haha 1

I fell down on my knees crying into my skeleton hands, they were only bone now after they had got burnt off in the church on account of the door knobs being too hot, in the background all kinds of demons laughed and animal noises happened while the rumble of lava going by also intoned. I did not know how to make it out of this place and I wept for the losing of my Freedoms. 

Suddenly one of my tears fell into the Lava River and the lava started bubbling where it had hit, then I saw something spinning around in the magma and the next thing I knew a face started coming up out of the lava, that face had a body connected to it and all of the sudden there was a person hovering over the fire and flames. It took me a minute to realize who it was, it was Master Ronald from my training dojo! 

"STEVE JENKINS WHY DO I FIND YOU HERE IN THE UNDERWORLD" he said disapprovingly. 

"I got convicted of crimes!" I Sobbed. "But I only did half of them! I drank under age. Please save me" 

"I can help you, but you must first give penance for what you had did was against the law."

"OK! I'll do anything!" I yelled and threw myself face down on the ground & penanced. Master Ronald did some incantations and then threw a smoke bomb at my feer. I hollered because the smoke stung my face, but when it cleared, I wasn't in Kuzuu any more, now I saw the green and blue of Archinmedes. I screamed at the top of my lungs as I fell... headfirst into the snow near the goat's house again! What was going to happen now??

Edited by Steve Jenkins
  • Haha 1

Elsewhere... 

C.S.V. Half Moon
Breaking orbit
Gan Singh IV - November 11, 3028

"Hauptmann Albrecht and Agent Schuster - will you be staying aboard with us to Sheratan and beyond? Or does duty call you elsewhere?"

I glanced at William, and then back at Hauptmann Albrecht. "Permission to speak, Hauptmann?" I asked, testing the waters.

"Ja, Herr Schmidt, go on," he replied.

"William, didn't you mention that you were interested in buying whatever was found from Jackson's client?" I inquired.

"I did. I still have interest. That core may not have given up all its secrets. And selling the rights to a replimat design to just the right client could be profitable as well. Why do you ask?" William replied. 

"Well, seeing as how we're already helping each other out, and you're going to be headed back to the Commonwealth with us to do your inspection of the vessel that we've got on hand for you, perhaps you'd be interested in returning the favor and letting us accompany you to the handoff on Sheratan? In case the client does want to sell, I'd like to make sure that we secure the data quickly." I said. 

"That's it?" William asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"That's it." I answered back unflinchingly.

William gave me an extended gaze, and then nodded his head. "Okay. Now go relax. There are will be plenty of time to discuss minutiae later."

I glanced at Hauptmann Albrecht. "Permission to take my leave for the evening, sir?" 

"Granted." Hauptmann Albrecht nodded. "Good job today."

"Thank you, sir." As I left the bridge, I looked toward Jackson. "You up for hanging out? Or are you gonna crash?"

Ceres Metal Industries
November 11, 3028

The Dragon bucked and stumbled under the force of the combined assault brought to bear on it by Mara Walsh's Orion and my King Crab. Barrages of autocannon fire tore gaping holes in its armor, while the impacts of laser and missile rounds reduced swaths of the BattleMech's hull to little more than molten slag. The Dragon attempted to mount a half-hearted defense with what few weapons he had left, but the effort was largely futile - as Walsh and I counter-circled the Kuritan, he could only concentrate his fire on one of us at a time while the other pounder away with impunity. Eventually, the demoralized pilot decided to cut his losses, ejecting from the cockpit in a spectacular display of smoke and fire, riding a pillar of flame into the hazy afternoon sky. The Dragon - or rather, what remained of it - smashed to the ground, pilotless and out of the fight.

"Nice work, Foxglove!" I exclaimed.

As my weapons cooled, I was treated to a radio transmission that was music to my ears.

"Nice work by all of you," the voice of Marius Lennox crackled from our orbiting DropShip. "Most of the hostile armor is down. The remaining Kuritans are withdrawing. You want to go after them?"

"Negative, Marius. That's not what we're getting paid to do. Our brief is to capture and hold the Ceres Metals plant. And that's what we're gonna do. No need to be cowboys. Leave that to the LCAF. Besides, if we chase after them, that gives the Kuritans a perfect window to insert new forces into the factory."

"Makes sense to me. If the OpFor's toast, you want me to bring the Tana down for repair and recovery ops?"

"Please do. There's a number of open spaces and at least one largish landing pad that look like they'll suit our DropShip. Take your pick. In the mean time, we're going to retrieve Grayson Carlyle out of the retention pond and convene at the center of the factory," I answered. 

"Copy that," Marius acknowledged. "We'll be planetside in 15 minutes."

"Roger that," I answered back. "Hammer-1 out. Hammer-1 to Hammer lance - unless you're working Carlyle extraction duty, form up on me."

With that, I closed the channel and headed toward heart of the industrial park.

###

A few minutes later, we arrived in the center of the plant. I noted that the Awesome we'd assisted earlier was present, as was its pilot, who was presently boots-on-the ground and in a conversation with a 'Mech tech. I wanted to meet the mysterious stranger who'd aided our fight so fearlessly and with such methodical precision. 

Descending to the ground via my BattleMech's escape ladder, I approached the fellow, and waited for him to finish his conversation. At length, I was able to speak.

"Hello, sir. I'm Captain Charles Maxwell, of the Aegis Division mercenary unit," I began, extending my hand. "Nice shooting back there. What'd you do to get those Kuritans so mad at you?"

Ceres Metal Industries
Kimbal System, Lyran Commonwealth
November 11, 3028

"Charles is that you?" I asked after catching a familiar silhouette out of the corner of my eye..

"Long time no see!",  I exclaimed, "I thought I recognizing a familiar old shellfish you call your ride." I chuckled.

"Shellfish!" Charles Exclaimed, "I suppose its been at least a few years I'd imagine... What brings you to this rathole?"

"Just been staying ahead of the man, I suppose",  as I cleared my throat and nodded for the tech to begin his work.

" A few short months back I got hoodwinked into helping this fledgling unit on planet, when we got jumped." I recalled.

"Most of my associates either split up or simply lost their rides. I've been just staying ahead of the Regulars"

"Many of my recent associates are likely holed up, hoping I could shear off something to get them back into the game."

I said as I shook my head.

"Which is what I was doing when you came along..." I thought, " ... was expecting I was going to have

to do it the hard way, but that's when you showed up."

"I see." Charles remarked, "Good thing I came along then."

"Yes Very." I said.  "I would have had things covered, but it sure helps having some backup. Thanks for being an 'Angel'"

"I'm thinking we could help each other on this one, what say you Dutch?" Charles asked inquisitively.

"Certainly." I said. "Just as long as it means there's a way off this dustball for me and OB1."

"I'll take anything I can get." I said as I smiled and sighed a deep breath of relief.

Edited by Mek_Master

"Hello, sir. I'm Captain Charles Maxwell, of the Aegis Division mercenary unit," I began, extending my hand. "Nice shooting back there. What'd you do to get those Kuritans so mad at you?"

"Charles, is that you?" a familiar voice asked. As the MechWarrior removed his helmet, I was surprised to find myself face-to-face with a ghost from my own past - Dutch McKenzie.

Over a year ago, House Arano had called in multiple mercenary outfits to help evacuate the Periphery world of Smithon following an invasion by the Taurian Concordat. Shortly after our lance dropped on the planet, the situation deteriorated to the point that unit cohesion began to fall apart; Mara Walsh, Dexter Friedman, Alexander Blackwood and I ultimately found ourselves co-mingled with the shattered remnants of the planetary militia and other mercenary units, McKenzie's command among them. With the local defenses quickly becoming overwhelmed, Dutch and I were able to pull together enough disparate assets to form a ragtag company and hold off the advance of the Taurians until the last of the civilian transport were able to break into orbit. The last time I saw the mercenary, our lances were withdrawing to our respective DropShips as the Aurigan Coalition signaled a retreat.

And now, over 500 light-years away, by what was apparently sheer coincidence, fate had brought us back together again under incredibly similar circumstances.

"Long time no see!" Dutch exclaimed. "I thought I recognized a familiar old shellfish you call your ride," he chuckled, shaking my hand.

"Shellfish!" I exclaimed with a chuckle. Time hadn't dulled the mercenary's wry sense of humor. "I suppose its been at least a few years, I'd imagine. What brings you to this rathole?"

Dutch cleared his throat and nodded at the 'Mech tech to begin his work. "Just been staying ahead of the man, I suppose.  A few short months back I got hoodwinked into helping this fledgling unit on planet, when we got jumped. Most of my associates either split up or simply lost their rides. I've been just staying ahead of the Regulars. Many of my recent associates are likely holed up, hoping I could shear off something to get them back into the game." Dutch shook his head. "Which is what I was doing when you came along. I was expecting I was going to have to do it the hard way, but that's when you showed up."

"I see." I replied, "Good thing I came along then."

"Yes - very." Dutch replied.  "I would have had things covered," he continued, projecting a confident grin, "but it sure helps having some backup. Thanks for being an 'Angel'."

"Don't mention it," I nodded. "I've no doubt that you could've held your own," I continued, going along with Dutch's braggadocio. He'd been through enough already; having the actual odds of being able to successfully take on an entire factory swarming with Kuritan BattleMechs singlehandedly was not what he needed to hear at the moment. "But I would have hated for that beautiful Awesome of yours to get banged up.

I withdrew a pair of smokes from my pocket humidor. "Cigar?" I offered. The mercenary politely declined.

"Terrible habit, I know. I'm trying to quit," I acknowledged, flicking the stogie's ignition patch. Blowing a few thoughtful puffs downwind, I glanced skyward as the roar of an approaching DropShip caught my ear. It was the Tana, descending directly behind us. As the vessel eased onto the tarmac, I floated a proposal that I hoped Dutch might find advantageous.

"We're down some firepower right now, and we're still on the hook with our client until he says otherwise," I began. "And I'm not sure what your long-term plan is, but at the moment, it would appear that you're dispossessed of a unit. Maybe there's a solution that would benefit us both. I'm thinking we could help each other on this one. What say you, Dutch?" I continued.

"Certainly," Dutch smiled. "Just as long as it means there's a way off this dustball for me and OB1."

I grinned, a relieved expression crossing my face, accompanied by a sigh. "You got it. I'll take anything I can get." I said. Behind us, the 'Mech and cargo bay doors of the Tana began to lift, the remnants of our lance moving toward the vessel for repairs and rearmament. Simultaneously, a recovery vehicle trundled out into the daylight to begin its salvage operations.

"That's our ride over there. Come on, I'll show you where everything is. You can set up shop and get some R&R before our next deployment. It's a pleasure to be working with you again."

MEANWHILE...... 

I had started to get up on my feet to go into the cabin in the woods when I heard a huge booming voice.....

STEVE. STEVE. THE BATTLE IS OVER. STEVE. STEVE. WAKE UP STEVE.

"The shit....??" I said out loud. I stood up in the snow and looked at the Horizon. There jutting up above the trees was a huge face, it looked like Alexander but it was so huge it blocked out the sun!!! 

STEVE it said. 

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhh!" I screamed, I kept screaming, so hard that I bent at the knees and my arms did a bodybuilder bend, and then I realized that I was stuck screaming! I couldn't stop! My scream continued and I watched my lips growing out from my face and getting longer and flapping as my scream continued, suddenly they flipped over backwards and swallowed me and I was getting pulled into oblivion by my own mouth! 

"Aggggghhhhhhh!" I screamed some more as I fell down my own Throat, I saw all kinds of rainbow lights and stuff going by as I fell to an unknown place. Suddenly there was a huge crash and I was laying on the floor of my Jail Cell with a bunch of teeth out of my mouth and my pants pulled into a huge wedgie over my head. 

"The shit, how did I???" I said as I got up, I was really confused. I walked to the window cell and looked outside after I pushed my waistband off my eyes, suddenly I saw the the giant face again!! 

"Aaaaaaagggg!!!" I yelled. I ran backwards and tripped over the Metal Toilet and smashed my face into the water in the bowel. Suddenly I was in meditation hyperspace again! When I came to, I was sitting on the 'rumble seat' in the Catapult and the real Alexander was looking at me! 

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhh!" I screamed, right in his face. Alexander stared at me. 

"What's wrong with you? We won the war, we're heroes." He said. "It's time to get out of the Mech."

I got up really slow, my head and my stomach felt terrible. I made it all the way to the Mech Ladder when I couldn't go any further and stopped to barf in a spare helmet that was on a shelf. I sobbed and wiped my mouth with shame. I Knew that without medical treatment, my body would simply fail. After 5 minutes and a bunch of sick stops later I was on the ground. I stumbled toward the TANA in need of a medic, and some food. If I was going to continue my part, I had to heal..... 

• Haha 1