Assault on Ceres Metal Works

13 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

In regards to MekHQ contract generation, I spent a little time today playing around with it. Discovered why I didn't find it before, if you don't have the "Against the Bot" option enabled in the campaign options the Contract Marketplace does not show up.

Under the campaign options you can select things like how far away you want to search for missions (the 800 light year default seemed a bit far to me, suppose if you want to work anywhere in the Sphere at any time it's good), whether or not to use peacetime operating costs (covering things like ammo, fuel, and repairs for training and such, just a cool immersive/more detailed thing), and other general limitations. Including the chances of getting an actual battle (you can actually complete a MekHQ contract/mission without ever having an actual battle/MegaMek game) depending on the role/mission type.

You only seem to be able to re-roll/negotiate the terms for command rights (Integrated, House, Liaison, or Independent) and support rights (either full support - covering a % of your operating expenses, or battle compensation - paying a % of repair bill) the command rights doesn't seem to do anything that I've noticed but haven't really checked it out much. The support rights depends on the mission for which one you want. However you are limited on the number of re-negotiations, I'm assuming it's related to your commander's negotiation skill but not positive. If you're using the GM mode you can also tell it to generate another contract whenever you want so you can always find something that works.

After you accept a contract and make your way to the appropriate planet, you have to assign a role/job to each of your lances you made in the TO&E, this shows up on the bottom left of the Briefing Room tab. Different contracts will require different jobs to be assigned. Then you just advance time (I recommend using the advance multiple days option under "Manage Campaign" menu) and essentially wait. Every month there is a chance for a special event to occur, which I only ever saw happen on the 1st (same day you get paid), and based on the Intensity you picked on the Campaign Options page and which roles you have assigned you will eventually get a random generated scenario/battle to play out in MegaMek. Sometimes it creates the OPFOR for you, sometimes it didn't (unless maybe that one mission wasn't supposed to have enemies?). Depending on your options selected it can generate random weather/time or use info based on the current planet. If you have multiple lances I believe it generates scenarios per lance so you could possibly have multiple scenarios available. Also if you have multiple lances I think you can reinforce (believe it's a random chance) the lance going into battle with elements of another lance. I've had some scenarios where it was an entire lance that got deployed, and some where you only get to pick a single unit to deploy. Once you complete the battle/scenario in MegaMek you can add the results into MekHQ (automatically if you play through MekHQ, or manually if you did it separately).

Additionally, you can add your own scenarios/battles manually to the contract, but I haven't played around with that enough yet to figure it out.

You can chose to edit the contract after you have accepted one, but it only seems to give options for renaming it, changing camo patterns, and changing friendly and enemy factions. As well as other details like the ally and enemy skill levels, planet location, required # of lances, and mission type. Haven't really played with these options much yet either.

Once the contract time is completed you can complete the contract/mission and it saves it all to your unit history and you can start a new one.

So far I really like the random contract generator in MekHQ. If I had been able to find it previously I probably wouldn't have bothered with the Excel sheet, lol. You don't have quite as much control with the randomly generated ones in MekHQ but you could easily take a random contract that you like and then manually enter the details you want with the GM mode. Going to have to experiment with it and see if it will still produce the random scenarios/battles for you with a manually created contract.

Wow, great Summary Orlex!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I probably should have spent this time working on an actual post but once again I got sucked into making a somewhat unnecessary excel file, lol. This time around I made one that can take any M

Updated file, turns out the name things was easier than I thought once I had some sleep, lol. Also, if you have two scenarios listed as pending in MekHQ the excel sheet cannot currently different

So right now it is built to use only the ".cpnx" campaign files that MekHQ saves, but only the files made with version 0.47.4. The older files (such as those in the pre-made campaign folders) may have

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

On the left, under Mission Info the white boxes can all be changed, they have drop down menus that correspond to the different mission types listed in the Campaign OPS sourcebook as well as some modifiers they listed for better customization.

In general on both of the mission page and the contract info page, anything in white can be changed. Well anything can be technically changed, but anything is white is meant to be changed lol

20 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

In regards to MekHQ contract generation, I spent a little time today playing around with it. Discovered why I didn't find it before, if you don't have the "Against the Bot" option enabled in the campaign options the Contract Marketplace does not show up.

Under the campaign options you can select things like how far away you want to search for missions (the 800 light year default seemed a bit far to me, suppose if you want to work anywhere in the Sphere at any time it's good), whether or not to use peacetime operating costs (covering things like ammo, fuel, and repairs for training and such, just a cool immersive/more detailed thing), and other general limitations. Including the chances of getting an actual battle (you can actually complete a MekHQ contract/mission without ever having an actual battle/MegaMek game) depending on the role/mission type.

You only seem to be able to re-roll/negotiate the terms for command rights (Integrated, House, Liaison, or Independent) and support rights (either full support - covering a % of your operating expenses, or battle compensation - paying a % of repair bill) the command rights doesn't seem to do anything that I've noticed but haven't really checked it out much. The support rights depends on the mission for which one you want. However you are limited on the number of re-negotiations, I'm assuming it's related to your commander's negotiation skill but not positive. If you're using the GM mode you can also tell it to generate another contract whenever you want so you can always find something that works.

After you accept a contract and make your way to the appropriate planet, you have to assign a role/job to each of your lances you made in the TO&E, this shows up on the bottom left of the Briefing Room tab. Different contracts will require different jobs to be assigned. Then you just advance time (I recommend using the advance multiple days option under "Manage Campaign" menu) and essentially wait. Every month there is a chance for a special event to occur, which I only ever saw happen on the 1st (same day you get paid), and based on the Intensity you picked on the Campaign Options page and which roles you have assigned you will eventually get a random generated scenario/battle to play out in MegaMek. Sometimes it creates the OPFOR for you, sometimes it didn't (unless maybe that one mission wasn't supposed to have enemies?). Depending on your options selected it can generate random weather/time or use info based on the current planet. If you have multiple lances I believe it generates scenarios per lance so you could possibly have multiple scenarios available. Also if you have multiple lances I think you can reinforce (believe it's a random chance) the lance going into battle with elements of another lance. I've had some scenarios where it was an entire lance that got deployed, and some where you only get to pick a single unit to deploy. Once you complete the battle/scenario in MegaMek you can add the results into MekHQ (automatically if you play through MekHQ, or manually if you did it separately).

Additionally, you can add your own scenarios/battles manually to the contract, but I haven't played around with that enough yet to figure it out.

You can chose to edit the contract after you have accepted one, but it only seems to give options for renaming it, changing camo patterns, and changing friendly and enemy factions. As well as other details like the ally and enemy skill levels, planet location, required # of lances, and mission type. Haven't really played with these options much yet either.

Once the contract time is completed you can complete the contract/mission and it saves it all to your unit history and you can start a new one.

So far I really like the random contract generator in MekHQ. If I had been able to find it previously I probably wouldn't have bothered with the Excel sheet, lol. You don't have quite as much control with the randomly generated ones in MekHQ but you could easily take a random contract that you like and then manually enter the details you want with the GM mode. Going to have to experiment with it and see if it will still produce the random scenarios/battles for you with a manually created contract.

10 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

Updated the excel  contract generator spreadsheet with the ability to set custom mission lengths, as well as included two additional update/recalculate buttons to allow modifying mission type/employer type/mission length/location and updating expenses/payment without having to re-roll all the various Rights. Can also properly update payment, etc. after re-rolling each Right separately.

Next I'm going to see if I can find if MekHQ generates a template or other file for contracts of if there is some way to extract a generated contract from it and then see if I can make something to generate our contracts on the board here. Wish me luck, lol.

Contract Generator.xlsm 57.67 kB · 1 download

Holy wow! Thanks for taking such a comprehensive deep-dive into everything, Orlex, and for the tweaks to the spreadsheet! It seems like we're awash in amazing world building options! I had NO idea that MegaMek could do so much. 

So I have to ask - how do you guys want to run the unit(s) going forward? MegaMek, augmented as well by the spreadsheet, seems like it's practically its own GM - which is unbelievably cool.

No problem, as I said I love doing this kind of stuff and I probably would have ended up doing it sooner or later anyways.

As for how to run the unit(s), I'm good with whatever the general consensus is. I think running it through MekHQ/MegaMek will be the most straight forward (as I said before, I have no problem if we don't use the spreadsheet, it was just fun for me to do), maybe if there is a very specific mission we want to generate we could use it, but we can always just GM into MegaMek whatever we want. So probably sticking to just MekHQ/MegaMek would work well.

I do have to point out though that I don't really want to run every little thing through MekHQ, I love the system and all that it can do but I don't want to loose the freedom and free form writing we've generally used in the past. I definitely want to use MekHQ for tracking most of the company level stuff and most definitely run some missions through MegaMek as well, just don't really feel like everything should be perfectly scripted based on the outcome of a battle in MegaMek. It is good to have it, and it keeps us more grounded in the universe over having too much plot armour but I don't want to see it stifle creativity if that makes sense. Obviously all the stuff between missions and any flashy details we want to write into the missions themselves are all still up to us to come up with and whatnot but I just wanted to point out, that in my opinion, using MegaMek/MekHQ as a framework  as opposed to a finished product would be best.

16 hours ago, Charles Maxwell said:

Holy wow! Thanks for taking such a comprehensive deep-dive into everything, Orlex, and for the tweaks to the spreadsheet! It seems like we're awash in amazing world building options! I had NO idea that MegaMek could do so much. 

So I have to ask - how do you guys want to run the unit(s) going forward? MegaMek, augmented as well by the spreadsheet, seems like it's practically its own GM - which is unbelievably cool.

So, unfortunately, the person I thought might run our unit can't do it. So we are on our own.

As for running it with MekHQ, I think it is a good idea to use it, to save us as much work as possible.

I agree with Orlex, that we can use it to assist us, but we can free form which ever parts we choose to, and do not need to strictly follow HQ.

Orlex, have you been able to load the current campaign file?

If you want perhaps we can do the campaign file as a group effort?

You seem to know the Contracts side best, and I can help with repairs and setting up the Megamek battles.

Would that work?

I'll have to go back through and grab the individual mech files (tried opening it once and said I was missing some of the 'mech files) but then I shouldn't have any issue.

I like the idea of doing the campaign file as a group effort, and would love to help out with the contracts or any part of it.

Fair warning though, we just found out that my pregnant wife is going to be getting induced at the end of this week and it's our first baby so my life is about to get a lot more hectic (in a good way ? , we are so excited!) and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute for the next little while.

7 hours ago, Mek_Master said:

So, unfortunately, the person I thought might run our unit can't do it. So we are on our own.

As for running it with MekHQ, I think it is a good idea to use it, to save us as much work as possible.

I agree with Orlex, that we can use it to assist us, but we can free form which ever parts we choose to, and do not need to strictly follow HQ.

Orlex, have you been able to load the current campaign file?

If you want perhaps we can do the campaign file as a group effort?

You seem to know the Contracts side best, and I can help with repairs and setting up the Megamek battles.

Would that work?

3 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

I'll have to go back through and grab the individual mech files (tried opening it once and said I was missing some of the 'mech files) but then I shouldn't have any issue.

I like the idea of doing the campaign file as a group effort, and would love to help out with the contracts or any part of it.

Fair warning though, we just found out that my pregnant wife is going to be getting induced at the end of this week and it's our first baby so my life is about to get a lot more hectic (in a good way ? , we are so excited!) and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute for the next little while.

Too bad about the GM falling through - thanks for scouting out the possibility, at least! I do like the idea of a group collaboration as the means to manage the unit through MegaMek.

Congratulations on the baby news, Orlex! That's really exciting. I don't mind covering contracts for you for a bit while you're on baby duty. Question for you regarding plot advancement - did you have any further exposition for the battle in mind for Hassan or Mara before the end of the week?

17 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

Wow Congrats Orlex... guess your stories will now be more about baby mangement, lol!

18 hours ago, Orlex Jaeger said:

I had wanted to do a little more with them, but unfortunately now I do not have the time. I was also hoping to wrap things up with Orlex on Myrvoll but that might have to wait too, we'll see how tomorrow goes lol.

No worries at all - I'll hold off another day on moving my stuff forward to provide a window for you to sync your posts up with me - if you tell us you have to bail, I can take over as Hassan and move the combat to its conclusion after that. But if you get some wild 37 hours of labor waiting period or what have you, and you want to knock a few posts out, you're welcome to!

8 hours ago, Mek_Master said:

Wow Congrats Orlex... guess your stories will now be more about baby mangement, lol!

Indeed, I think you're right! @Mek_Master, will you be jumping into the story as Dutch once the combat ends?